Emetophobia (Fear of Vomiting)
Individuals with Emetophobia experience an overwhelming fear of vomiting. The fear can be of themselves vomiting or witnessing others vomit. Individuals with emetophobia go to great lengths to keep themselves “safe” which usually involves significant avoidance behaviours (see below). Some individuals fear that if they see someone vomit, they will throw up. While others fear not being able to stop vomiting, choking on vomit and/or shame about vomiting in front of others – however social anxiety needs to be ruled out. As mentioned, avoidance tends to be the key behavioural identifier and can include:
- You avoid foods or drink related to past vomiting or sickness.
- You avoid certain people that may be prone to viruses or state they feel sick.
- You engage in excessive handwashing and eat “safe foods” often bland.
- You use electrolyte ice block and drinks excessive pre and post food/event.
- You avoid eating foods when you are away from home.
- You check the locations of bathrooms.
- You google signs of viruses or causes of vomiting.
Interested in joining our team at Anxiety House Sunshine Coast (AHSC)?
- Masters and/or Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Eligible for registration with AHPRA as an endorsed “Clinical Psychologist” or eligibility for the clinical psychology registrar program
- Eligible for Medicare registration
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Clinical supervision
– Supportive team environment
- Peer mentoring
- Modern refurnished consulting rooms
- Stream of referrals
- Psychiatry input with our sister practice Oxford Clinic
- On site educational and developmental assessments
- Full-time on-site reception services
- Company email
- Practice management software
- Continued professional development offerings as a team
- Marketing service.
- Private practice mentoring
- Career development and company progression
- Free training in OCRD and Eating Disorders.
- Working in a well-established clinic with a solid reputation
- Be part of a larger organisation with sister clinics in Brisbane (double CPD)
- Attractive remuneration
- Ability to develop your skills within niche areas
- Clinical supervision
Together, let us help those people who are suffering from mental disorders. If you’re interested, please complete the form below and we will reach out to you.